The Paleontology Museum
Museo di Paleontologia
|Address||Modena - via Università, 4|
|phone||+39 059 205 6530|
|Contact person||dott.ssa Giovanna Menziani|
|For information and reservation please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org|
This museum has its origins in the Museum of Natural History founded by Duke Francis III of Este in 1776. It dates back to 1926 when the collections were assigned to the Institute of Paleontology and Geology as distinct from the Mineralogy Institute. Then in 1961, thanks to Prof. Eugenia Montanaro Gallitelli who oversaw the founding of the Paleontology Institute, it acquired a completely autonomous identity. The museum houses important collections belonging to the second half of the 19th century. These contain hundreds of thousands of specimens including molluscs, echinoderms, arthropods as well as remnants of plant origin. These specimens have been moved several times in the course of the years, however, in 1961, they were housed on the mezzanine floor of the ‘Palazzo del Rettorato’ where they can still be found today.
More information available at the web site http://www.museopaleo.unimore.it