Department of Studies on Language and Culture
largo Sant'Eufemia, 19
41121 - Modena (Italy)
tel. 059 205 5811
Directorprof. Giovanni Bonifati
The Department of Studies on Language and Culture aims at providing a broad-based knowledge of languages and cultures.
The research and teaching of the Department aims at investigating a vast array of disciplines and subjects ranging from European languages and cultures to anthropology, history, philosophy, linguistics, sociology, law and economics. A close collaboration with local, national and international institutions enhances the teaching activities of the Department and supports the popularisation of science.
The Department promotes teaching and research in the following areas:
- Discourse and genre analysis;
- Translation studies;
- History and variety of languages;
- Linguistics and sociolinguistics;
- Intercultural mediation;
- Multiculturalism and interculturalism;
- European integration processes (cultural, economic and legal);
- The history of philosophical and scientific ideas;
- History of ideologies and cultural movements;
- Philosophy of language, ethical and metaethical theories;
- The history of nationalism and identity construction;
- Ethnology, ethnography and anthropology of contemporary societies;
- The history of religions, with particular attention to Christianity and Islam.
The Department promotes Erasmus mobility programs for teachers and students and has also a wide network of international non-Erasmus exchanges. Its members participate in numerous national and international research projects and networks.