You are there: Home » Services and facilities » Medical Assistance

Medical Assistance for Foreign Students


Please refer to your National Health Service before leaving your home country in order to make sure to have your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by your country of origin (or equivalent document for the European States for which, even if transitorily, it has not yet been introduced, i.e. E-109).

With the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or replacement, you can directly access the health facilities of the Italian National Health Service (e.g. GP, the Emergency Department of a hospital).
EU students who do not have insurance coverage in their country of residence (no EHIC) must take out a specific insurance policy which will entitle them to see a GP of the National Health Service (or go to the Emergency Department of a hospital). Without a health insurance policy, the student will be held responsible for covering all medical-related expenses.


Check in your home country whether there are specific agreements with Italy and what you need to do in order to access the Italian National Health Service.

  • If there is an agreement between your country and Italy, you should go to SAUB/AUSL Modena or SAUB/AUSL Reggio Emilia with all of the necessary forms.
  • If there is no agreement between your country and Italy, you need to subscribe for private medical insurance which must meet the following conditions which must:
    • cover expenses in the event of emergency treatment and/or urgent hospitalization (admission via the hospital casualty ward);
    • cover the entire duration of the stay in Italy;
    • guarantee the policy holder's return to his/her own country in case of serious illness;
    • translated into Italian and legalized by the Italian Embassy.

Once enrolled at the university, if you are a student from a non-EU country who has already obtained a first permit of stay, you may register with the National Health Service by paying a fee of €700. The fee is paid once a year and is valid from January 1 to December 31. Registration with the National Health Service entitles you to see a general practitioner and to pay a lower fee for medical examinations, treatments and analyses.

In order to access to this service, please go to your SAUB office with the following documents:

  • an identity document (e.g., passport);
  • the application form indicating the doctor you have chosen;
  • the original permit of stay or the original receipt of request for the permit of stay, issued by the police headquarters (questura);
  • your tax code (codice fiscale);
  • an original certificate of enrolment at the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia;
  • original of the receipt of payment in the amount of 149.77 €;

The locations, opening hours and telephone numbers of the SAUB/AUSL offices are as follows:

Via Marzabotto, 13 - Modena
- tel. +39 059 438034
Opening: Monday to Friday, 8:00 to 12:45; Thursday, 15:00 to 18:00; Saturday, 8:00 to 12:30
Address: Via Amendola, 2 Reggio Emilia
tel. +39 0522 335503
Opening: Monday to Saturday, 8:00 to 12:30